Named from the Aboriginal word meaning ‘honeysuckle rise’, the Coonawarra was Australia’s first widely recognised wine region. Located along South Australia’s Limestone Coast, the Coonawarra hangs it hat on its Cabernet Sauvignon, which flourishes in its famous 100 kilometres of terra rossa soils. These rusty red loam and clay soils preside over a limestone base (ensuring quality drainage) and under a maritime climate they nourish the Coonawarra’s premier Cabernet Sauvignon vines. Shiraz, Chardonnay, Riesling, Petit Verdot, Pinot Noir, Malbec and Merlot also thrive in the Coonawarra, where vines date back to 1890. The first winery in Coonawarra commenced by John Riddoch in 1896 is known today as the famous Wynns Coonawarra Estate.
Coonawarra, SA POPULAR WINES
- Previously PurchasedBowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2013Coonawarra$53.99
- Previously PurchasedParker Coonawarra Estate Terra Rossa First Growth Cabernet Sauvignon 2016Coonawarra$119.99
- Previously PurchasedSt Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 2015Coonawarra$49.99
- Previously PurchasedSt Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 2014Coonawarra$51.99
- Previously PurchasedSt Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 2013Coonawarra$53.99
- Previously PurchasedPenley Estate Hyland Shiraz 2013Coonawarra$24.99
- Previously PurchasedWynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2016Coonawarra$42.99
- Previously PurchasedWynns Michael Shiraz 2012Coonawarra$154.99
- Previously PurchasedPenfolds Bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz 2019Coonawarra$59.99
- Previously PurchasedWynns Black Label Shiraz 2018Coonawarra$37.99
- Previously PurchasedWynns John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon 2016Coonawarra$139.99
- Previously PurchasedWynns Harold Cabernet Sauvignon 2018Coonawarra$79.99
- Previously PurchasedWynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2018Coonawarra$34.99
- Previously PurchasedRymill BrutCoonawarra$22.99
- Previously PurchasedLeconfield Cabernet Sauvignon 2018Coonawarra$27.99
- Previously PurchasedWynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2015Coonawarra$43.99
- Previously PurchasedParker Estate Interloper Cabernet Malbec 2016Coonawarra$19.99
- Previously PurchasedParker 'Special Release 95 Block' Cabernet 2016Coonawarra$59.99
- Previously PurchasedMr Riggs The Chap Shiraz Cabernet Triple Gift PackCoonawarra$289.99
- Previously PurchasedMr Riggs The Chap Shiraz Cabernet 2012 Gift BoxedCoonawarra$99.99
More from The Drop
19 Sep 2021
We sat down with Ben Holdstock from Heaps Normal, the crew making big hangover-free waves, to chat about brewing great booze-free beer.
There's that famous old French saying in Burgundy, about the good warm vintages, that you would have to be dead not to make good wine. And in the easy years, that's what happens - everyone makes good wine and everyone's picking around the same time. But it's the difficult years – and in the Valley here, we still get three or four difficult years in every ten – they're the years where you make the statement on your skills and your expertise.
22 Jul 2021
Despite the influence of both a pandemic and the much-maligned price of avocado toast (which many say is a hindrance to a home loan), the property market is still booming – even behind closed doors. So, how can you celebrate a sale or thank a vendor who is moving during lockdown?