Grapevines were introduced to the Bordeaux region by the Romans, probably in the mid-1st century, and its winemaking tradition still flourishes today. The largest controlled wine growing region in France is divided into sub-regions including Saint-Émilion, Pomerol, Médoc, and Graves and the majority of wine produced in is red (known as Claret in Britain) made by more than 8,500 producers or châteaux. Sweet white wines (Sauternes), dry whites, Rosé and the sparkling Crémant de Bordeaux make up the remainder. The region’s maritime climate nurtures a distinguished collection of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot for reds and Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscadelle and Ugni Blanc for whites; but it’s the collective quality of terroir, region, village and château that truly make Bordeaux wines sing. The main river in Bordeaux is the Gironde and its Left Bank vineyards are dominated by tannic Cabernet Sauvignon wines, whilst the Merlot-focussed Right Bank wines tend to have more restrained tannins.
BORDEAUX, FRANCE POPULAR WINES
- Previously PurchasedLa Chartreuse De Prieure Marquet Bordeaux 2015Bordeaux$39.99
- Previously PurchasedChâteau de Terrefort-Quancard Bordeaux 2016 6 BoxBordeaux$119.99
- Previously PurchasedChâteau de Terrefort Bordeaux Supérieur 2014 3ltBordeaux$159.99
- Previously PurchasedChateau De Rieussec Carmes Premier Cru Sauternes 750ml 2009Bordeaux$299.99
- Previously PurchasedChâteau Coutet Prem Grand Cru Classé AOC Barsac 09Bordeaux$199.99
- Previously PurchasedChateau De Rieussec Carmes Sauterne 2013Bordeaux$69.99
- Previously Purchased
- Previously PurchasedChateau Chantemerle Medoc Bordeaux Red Blend 2015Bordeaux$26.99
- Previously Purchased
- Previously PurchasedChâteau de Paillet-Quancard Bordeaux 2015 Twin PackBordeaux$59.99
- Previously PurchasedChâteau de Paillet-Quancard Bordeaux 2012 1.5l Magnum BoxBordeaux$89.99
- Previously PurchasedChâteau de Paillet-Quancard Bordeaux 3lt 2010 BoxBordeaux$149.99
- Previously PurchasedChateau de Lamarque Bordeaux Blend 2015Bordeaux$49.99
More from The Drop
02 Jun 2021
Here are five ways to flip the script and throw a work party that’s a little different.
14 May 2021
We caught up with one of Australia's premier event companies, Team Event, to chat about party planning and the future of events.
30 Mar 2021
Britt, our resident cocktail and experience queen, shakes up a recipe.